Thursday, January 12, 2023

Personal Rules for Life (Part 1)

Dear World,

I realize that we live in a polarized society where society dictates that you are either right or wrong. There is no compromise and if you have a differing opinion you must be silenced. As someone who has always been the outsider, I have developed my own divergent rules for life that I live by.  These rules help me keep a grip on a society that ostracizes me because I am different and think differently. I still believe that as a society we can agree or disagree with dignity and acceptance. So here are my rules for surviving in a world that considers me an outcast.

1. Trust no one. It took me many years and after the ASD diagnosis to invoke this rule but I have learned not to trust anyone. The ones that you are supposed to trust are more likely to stab you in the back to get ahead in life. I am not saying that everyone is like this, but I have learned not to trust anyone after being burned so many times by people.

2. See Rule 1.  Enough said.

3. You can't fix stupid. No matter how many times I have seen it, watched it, and experienced it. People will do stupid things. This includes wearing shorts in subzero temperatures, make poor life choices, and other things. People can only change if they are motivated intrinsically or extrinsically.  Sit back and enjoy the show.

4.  Don't believe everything you read on the internet.  Pretty straightforward. This is especially true for Social Media. 

5. Do not post personal opinions on Social Media or the Internet. Yeah, I am breaking this one with this journal entry.  The reason for Rule 5 is that someone will always be offended no matter how unintentional you may be with your wording. I know it is very hard for people to remain quiet but this rule is essential for survival on Social Media.

6.  See Rule 5. Enough said.

7. Keep your personal politics to yourself. No one needs to know if you are one side or the other. 

8. Never post your personal politics online. This can be weaponized against you no matter if you said you voted, or even have it posted what your political affiliation is on social media and never go back to it. Trust me, your workplace and society will use your politics against you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Trolls

 I wanted to get this off my chest because it bothers me. A prominent #teachertwitter influencer posted something last night that you can no...