Saturday, August 13, 2022

Pre-Requisite Courses/Placement Testing for College

Originally, I was going to post about academic advising and scheduling for classes. However, I realized that I was running before I could walk. A lot of ways that colleges make money is to have pre-requisite testing for incoming students. It usually costs nothing to take the tests, but if you think you did poorly you will have to pay some cost to retake them.

Placement tests are used to place you in the appropriate level classes for your beginning semester. Some people land immediately in 100 level courses (year one), and others in perquisite course (070, 080) courses. These courses are pre-requisites and are required before you even begin your 100 level courses. Sad to say, you will not be able to use your financial aid or scholarship money for these courses.

From my personal experience, I did not do well on my placement tests and had to take the pre-requisite Math and English courses. Math 080 and English 090.  I was able to start my English 101 after passing English 090 and then Math a semester later. For a long time, during those classes I thought I was a failure because I was not in 100 level courses. Years later, reflecting on that experience I realized those pre-requisite courses helped me developed the discipline that I would later use in my college career.  I also realized that my brain as a 18-year old was not ready to deal with the demands that college life would place on me. 

If you test out of placement testing and go straight to 100-level courses more power to you. If you are stuck in pre-requisite courses do not give up!!! Those classes are not  just a money grab (sometimes they are), but they are primarily to help you in your journey.  My 18-year old self at the time would not believe that I would reach doctoral level, with hopes of going on further in my education two decades later. I had great papers, a strong work ethic (maintained a 3.7 in High School), but high school did not prepare me for college. 

******

I will say that as as potential future professor and academic advisor, I am planning to share that story. Not only that, 070, 080, 090 courses are there to build your confidence and they can train your to become a better college student. Just because you are in a pre-requisite course does not mean you should give up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Trolls

 I wanted to get this off my chest because it bothers me. A prominent #teachertwitter influencer posted something last night that you can no...