Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Class Accommodations for College

In K-12, students are given accommodations based upon their IEP's or 504 plans. For those of you who do not know what an IEP is, it is an individualized educational plan. 504 plans are similar and cover mostly medical needs. IEP's deal more with academics, although some 504 plans also deal with academics. The key is knowing how to get accommodations at the college level which can be tricky and hard to do.

First and foremost, if you received accommodations during K-12 find out from the college admissions advisor how to have certain accommodations for the student. This can include but is not limited to testing site, read-aloud for tests, breaks for exams,  and other accommodations. 

Usually, the professor will outline in their syllabus how to utilize these accommodations and a statement as such is required by the university. For example the professor will put in how to get alternative materials or books, or how to notify them of the accommodations needed. Note, that all accommodations will need to be submitted to the Office of Disability Services first. If it is not on file, then the professor can refuse to accommodate because there is not a paper trail. This is important!!! File with the Office of Disability Services and they will inform the professor.

For example, when I taught HS Civics and Econ, I had students that needed testing accommodations and by law I had to comply. Most professors are understanding especially given the times we are living in, but note that some are not. For example, I failed my second doctoral class because I forgot to file a bereavement leave with the Office of Disability Services because of my brothers death. No matter how hard I pleaded with the professor that my brother died the day before that last class ended and that I was not online because he had died to turn in my last paper, I was not excused (I did retake the class and passed it with an A, same instructor).  A few years earlier, I had sustained a head injury at work and was out for four weeks for medical reasons, but because the hospital filed on my behalf, I was able to get an extension in my Masters program to pass the class. 

Be aware, parents are not allowed access to a students collegiate records because of the age of majority laws. However, in extreme circumstances like my head injury they may have access to your records.

Please be aware of the policies for your particular college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Trolls

 I wanted to get this off my chest because it bothers me. A prominent #teachertwitter influencer posted something last night that you can no...